Friday, September 12, 2008

It's Been A Crazy Week

Mike has been working, plus getting some training at work, so he only had Tuesday off this week. Today he went to what is called M.O.A.B. I'm not sure what it stands for, but he came home and demonstrated some of his newly acquired skills. He learned about what to do during an attack of a whacked out patient. Some of the stuff was really funny....like when he threw something on the floor to distract the bad guy. We all laughed when he took down the oh-so- aggressive-floppy-giggly girl Lauren, but she was the only willing participant.
The car was in the shop on Monday and Tuesday, then Tuesday evening we took the van in to be repaired. So I have been without a car all week. Needless to say, the kids have been stir crazy!!
Did I forget to tell you that I was backing up with the door open, hit a huge rock and bent the door way back, ruined the hinges and made big dents in the front panel and on the drivers side door? We were at the cabin for FHE and all the kids decided they had to potty before we made the 40 minute trip home. Well, the port-a-potty is down this narrow path (just barely wider than the van) with trees and rocks on either side. I had taken the van down to the potty so that I could shine the lights for them. We didn't have any flash lights. Anyway, after we were all done, I was backing up. I had my door open, thinking I was safer because I could see better. (It's hard for me to see while backing up in the woods. Maybe I am "black-blind" as Lundi calls it). So about five feet before the end of the path we all hear this huge CRUNCH! (Insert 4 screaming, freaking-out children here). I get out to survey the damage....it was not good, even in the dark. I then try to close the door, it closes all of 6 inches, which means it is still open about 10 inches. Oh no, am I just going to drive while holding the door closed? Time to turn this disaster over to Mike, I thought. Harrison immediately suggests a prayer, says one and every one calms down. Mike comes over, fiddles with the door, manages to get it closed. (Prayer of thanks is said by all). So the next week, we get an estimate from our insurance company. They quote us $1800.00 for repairs, minus our deductible. Oh dear, it will put us in a pinch to come up with the deductible, but we have to get it repaired. You see, with our impending arrival, our plan is to trade it in for an eight passenger come December.
Then Mike had this bright idea to ask our regular mechanic of he did body work. Turns out he does. Even better, he did it for 1/3 the price we were quoted. No out of pocket expense for us. Better than that, we had enough money left over to get the car fixed and inspected, and I was able to get our homeschooling stuff for the year. Another blessing in disguise. The Lord is good to us. Oh....and the results....well, let's just say it looks perfect. You can't even tell, except for the fact that the "new" door is red and the rest of the van is silver. Just kidding. It really does look just like new. Thank You again, Pete Winslow. (For all of you locals, he is the BEST mechanic in Franklin County.

KKS

No comments: