Thursday, July 19, 2007

Community Service

It's something I don't do enough of. Yes, I serve my family on a regular bases, but it's not the same. Today I had the opportunity to go to Western Maine Community Action to do volunteer work. It really was a great (and humbling) experience. I often forget how truly blessed we are. I am also grateful to live in a country where so many things are abundant. There is an excess of almost every thing in this country and it was heart warming to contribute to this great force in our community. We did alot of sorting, moving and organizing many items that will be sold at a giant yard sale in August. The money raised from this sale (all items are donations) will be put back into community programs like heat assistance and the food bank.
It was there that I thought to myself...."Wow, we are so very blessed. Poor though we may be, my children always have three meals a day, clothes to wear and a home to live in. I want to recognise these blessings and not take them for granted. I think of the hymn "Because I have been goven much, I too must give. Because of thy great bounty Lord, each day I live."
I know why we as Mothers love our children so very much. It is because we serve them every minute of our lives once they are conceived. The Lord asks us to serve others and I know that it is not only for their benefit. It changes our hearts, it heals our soul. It opens our eyes to peoples lives outside of our friends and family. It affords us the oppertunity to think beyond ourselves.....what a great blessing. I feel blessed to have had this oppertunity. The Lord knew I needed this. I have heard it said...."If you are mad at someone....serve them. Find some way to brighten their day." Granted, it doesn't always (immediatley) fix a situation....but it always fixes you (me). Meaning....you feel better afterward. I have applied this principle many times with my children and husband and it always works.
Alas, the Lord has given us...... yet another...... commandment that will improve all aspects of our lives.
I guess I got off on a tangent there for a minute. I'll wrap this up by saying that I truly enjoyed rendering service this day.
KKS

No comments: