Monday, September 17, 2007

Planes in the Rain

Even though it rained, we still attended the annual air show at Brunswick on Saturday. It was great, we all loved it, especially The Blue Angels. Afterward we went out to eat Indian food (my favorite). I tend to think that a diverse pallet is required in order to appreciate fine Indian cuisine, and my children proved that to me on Saturday. Caleb, however tried many new things and liked most of it. The others left the restaurant still hungry.
There is something to be said for the US Navy. First of all, my Daddy served in the Navy, so I have always been extra proud of this branch of the military. And those Blue Angels....they were impressive, to say the least. I found them fascinating to watch. I love the way they move with such precision when they march. I love the way everything thing they do is perfect and exact. Sometimes it looks as though they share a brain, is how Caleb described it. I respect them so much because I know that takes so much practice, dedication and self discipline.
I have often put the military (as a whole) in the "bully...want to beat everybody up" category. But on Saturday I gained a new appreciation for the men and women who serve and protect our country. The leaders of our country have made some very poor choices as far as putting our nose where it doesn't belong. But....these individuals who serve in the military make me proud to be an American. In some small way they represent me. I want to be better at supporting them, even if it just means including them in my prayers. Our country as a whole is represented by them. They seem to value and cherish freedom more than the average Joe. They are reminded on a regular bases what it takes to keep this country free. As a conservative, Mormon, homeschooling, free thinking, voting civilian, I often forget what They do for me so that I may enjoy these (often taken for granted) privileges. In my mind I learned to separate the war in Iraq (and my angst for it) from these individual men and women who shook our hands, took several minutes to talk to us, autographed Caleb's hat, and became our friends. They became real (like in the Velveteen Rabbit) to me in a way that I have not thought about in a long time. I sincerely thanked them for serving our country.
I don't watch TV...ever, so I stay pretty out of touch with the goings on of the world. I don't avoid the news, I just don't have access, so I forget about it. I want to remember that freedom comes with a very heavy price. I don't want something like September 11th to happen again in order for me to "Wake Up!!!" I will remember to pray for these people and their loved ones tonight. I will also pray for President Bush and those in Iraq who are struggling to make sense of all of this. I know that some day justice will be served. We can go through life doing what we will, but EVERYONE will someday have to meet their maker. Accountability does not disappear with death. I am glad I am not the judge.
Anyway.....I'll get off my soapbox now.
Today was a great day. We had a great school day. On Saturday the jets broke the sound barrier (soooo cool) which brought many intelligent questions from Caleb. So, guess what we did for science today. That's right, we learned about the speed of sound and why there is the cloud around the jet. Very fascinating, I might add.
Our local fair is going on right now. I know we may have turned into hicks, but we love the Demolition Derby. We went last year for the first time, and tonight we went just to see that. It was so entertaining. The kids loved it, especially....you guessed it, Mr Car Man Harrison. Nana is coming this weekend to take the kids to the fair, so she will do the Midway thing with them. So tonight they got a glimpse of the fun they will have on Saturday. I will be going to Bangor for a stake service project. Mike, Nana and Grandpa Dan get to take the kids to the fair.
KKS

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I'm terribly fond of soapboxes myself, and don't mind waiting and listening to you up on yours.
So sing on!
I love (and pretty much live by) the quote "Don't die with your music still in you."
So I sing it.
(grin) Often.