Friday, October 5, 2007

The Urge to Purge

I started with Lundi's room. It is usually an all day project (or at least 4-5 hours from start to finish) when Mike is available. Today he was at the hospital from 6:00 am to 6:30 pm, so I could only commit about an hour to her room today. It was prompted by Lauren stumbling over a wooden box and hitting her head. I don't particularly mind the mess, but when it gets so cluttered that one can't walk without getting hurt, I must do something about it. I will finish it tomorrow and then move on to another room. The whole house is in need of a De-Junking.
I get this urge twice a year, usually in the Fall and Spring. I start to feel so trapped and burdened by so much "stuff" that I just have to purge. It works out well because in the Fall I make room for anticipated new Christmas toys and get rid of everything that is broken, has missing parts or has become invisible to the kids (like old toys). I do this of course, without them watching. If I don't, the forgotten/broken toys suddenly become the "favorite toy" and I feel too guilty throwing it away. If I don't involve them, they never miss it. I call it "mess management and minimizing."
This weekend is General Conference. I am so much looking forward to it. I am in need of a spiritual feast. I have much to learn and am so exited about sustaining a new member of the First Presidency.
KKS

No comments: