Sunday, August 26, 2007

Kissing in the Kitchen

I think that my children have watched one too many cartoons with weddings in them. As they think that when people kiss, they are getting married. Caleb always hides his eyes in embarrassment, Harrison impatiently says "get it over with" and the girls look longingly at the TV, hands folded under their chins with twinkles in their eyes, memorizing every detail.
So tonight, Mike and I were kissing in the kitchen when Lauren walks in. She said "Are YOU getting married? Guys, come see!!! (Calling the boys from the living room) They are getting married again!" She stood there smiling, encouraging us to do it again. It's hard to have a passionate kiss while laughing at a cute little four year old cheering you on.
It's funny to see all the different opinions of kissing that my children display. I wonder if these views will remain when they become teenagers.
Mike and I have been seriously contemplating "THE TALK" lately. Is 10 a good age? We think so. We definitely want him to hear it from us (our views from a religious perspective) before he hears it from the rest of the world and gets a warped perception. I am sure that if he were in PS he would know something by now. But as far as I know, he has no clue. We will approach the subject prayerfully and hope for the best. It will be interesting, though. If he gets embarrassed when he sees people kiss, what is he going to do when he comes to our locked bedroom door and he knows what we are doing? Poor kid!!! Maybe we can pretend that he is not connecting all the dots yet....you know, be in denial like my parents were. Ya right! I think that knowing and them knowing that I knew (in other words, them giving us "THE TALK") would have been much better than knowing and having to pretend to be oblivious.
(Warning....abrupt subject cnange....) For some reason, I am looking forward to going shopping for school supplies. I loved doing it when I was a kid, too. I love the smell of a new box of crayons. Right now, all the stores are having their sales, too. Notebooks for $.11, colored pencils for $1.00, scissors for $.50...., Elmers glue for $.22. I love these sales. By the way, where is the "cents" sign on the key board? Is there one? Using the "$" sign just doesn't look right.
Anyway, I will retire for the evening, I hope you have a great week.
I love the Lord, as he blesses me daily!
KKS

No comments: