Sunday, March 9, 2008

Relentless Remodeling

.....of the soul that is. Christ is the master craftsman.
I heard this term used in a talk tonight (Called to Serve) by Neal A. Maxwell.
"For the serious disciple the resulting urgency means there can be few extended reveries and recesses and certainly no sabbaticals--all this in order to hasten God's relentless remodeling of each of us! Parenthetically, I don't know how it is for you, but though the reveries, the special moments come, they are not extended. Soon the drumroll of events, even difficulties, resumes. There is so much to get done in the brief time we have in this mortal classroom. "
It really put things into perspective for me. Things have been especially difficult around here the last few days. Sickness abounds. Nothing that was planned happened. Everything that wasn't, came to pass.
Trials and tribulations, obstacles, sickness, temptations, opposition, weaknesses. These are all part of our mortal experience. Life on earth includes all of these things. But why? Is it because our God has left us to dwindle aimlessly, just waiting for our lives to get easier, better, perfect or effortless? No. Infact, we are given trials because He loves us. Our life on earth wasn't meant to be easy, but we are promised that it will be worth it. Trials help us to recognize what we are truly made of. So much of the time I hear this term but don't actually see the blessing of the trial until after it is over. Isn't that human nature?
The "remodeling" of my soul is a process. I am always growing, learning, failing, repenting, evolving, getting off track, finding my way back, asking forgiveness and starting all over again. In essence, learning for myself. I am having my own mortal experience. No one else can do it for me, nor can I do it for anybody else.
In this process, I am getting closer to my Savior and gaining a better understanding of His love for me. I am indeed grateful that He is relentless in his grace. He is relentless when it comes to perfecting my soul. He is relentless in His love and patience for me. I know that He lives.

KKS

No comments: